Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Narrow Roads

The roads are narrow up here. It seems that in this part of the world there are more two-lane roads than any other kind and these two-lane roads are barely wide enough for two cars travelling in opposite directions to pass each other safely, never mind a huge, hulking farm combine coming at you in the dark, without as much as a flicker of any type of illumination. The roads are steep and hilly with curvy switchbacks every few feet. People feel compelled to travel 60 miles an hour—like it is flat, for Pete's sake, and not the foothills of the GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS HERE, PEOPLE!

Shut up, Marsha. Who cares?

I'm just looking for something to write about. But when I go to write, it all comes out as sarcastic whining, blah blah blah, gripe gripe gripe. On the internet it's called ranting. And I don't want to be "that guy." If you read blogs, you know the type of guy, the writer I'm talking about. The one who uses up pixels bemoaning this injustice or that, large and small. Political, environmental, relational, ideological, ecclesiastical...I think some people could close their eyes, open a dictionary, point to a random word and rant for thirty minutes about it. I know I could. Why have we devolved into whining babies? The whole world is constantly complaining. There are at least three networks that come to mind that make their money ranting. People ranting and people who will listen to people ranting revived radio, for Pete's sake.

Enough with the ranting, already. The world has done enough ranting. Personally, I've done enough ranting. It's time to say and do positive things. I'm pretty sure that there is a scripture or two about thinking about the good, pure, lovely things and doing rather than just hearing and,oh, here's one—"Don't use fruitless or antagonistic words, but words that are good for encouraging people." That's Ephesians 4:29 for those who want to make sure I'm not a heretic.

As much as I like to think I am being humorous and entertaining when I gripe about things, ranting is just "internet-ese" for complaining. And complaining is icky. Who wants to be known as a complainer? Not me. So, I have decided to stop complaining. Right after this rant about ranting. This is the last. I mean it.

S  t  a  r  t  i  n  g. . .NOW.

11 comments:

  1. I posted a comment, but it didn't stay. Not sure how this thing works. Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, what I said was.... Now that you have all that out of your system, write me a good story. You have the talent, the will, the mind, the heart, NOW JUST DO IT! Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
    Oh, wait, you are. Rock on lady, rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blogs Marsha, keep them coming!! It makes me feel closer to you. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly what I have been trying to tell these teenagers that live here. I'm sure not as eloquently as you. As a matter of fact, it probably comes out sounding like I am complaining when I say "can't we all just get along?" Melodee

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Marion.I may be a complainer or ranter but not a blogger. How do you work this crazy thing? Mel

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to read anything you write. I guess I could be considered a "groupie". Love and miss you but...most of all, happy for you. You're finally doing what you do best. PJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure there is not a place for ranting. If you think of H. L. Mencken, Oliver Wendell Holmes and Samuel Langhorne Clemens much of what they wrote could be seen as ranting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A rant and a Bible verse...sounds like a sermon Mrs. Robinson! 10 comments...woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm that guy! Lol. People who read my blog must think I'm a miserable human being, but honestly I'm pretty chipper. It's probably because I get all of my complaining out where people have the option of not listening, and then I'm over it. It beats axe murdering as a solution, anyway..

    -Brittany

    ReplyDelete