Thursday, July 28, 2011

Why I Do Not Write

I am dealing with the thought that I avoid writing because I am afraid of people judging me. Here is how that plays out: People read things I write and then determine that I am an ignorant person or, worse yet, uninteresting. That would make me sad, so I don't write. Okay, let's try to chase that down, shall we? If people do not enjoy something I write, will they contact me and tell me that it was not good? Or will these imagined, judgmental readers wander through life with thoughts of loathing and disdain for me? Or, conversely, if something I write is out there, in a magazine or on a website and I receive little or no feedback, does a lack of meaningful critique necessarily mean that no one enjoyed what I wrote?

No.  None of that is realistic. The truth is, I spend long periods of time NOT writing because it is work and I do not like work (*accusing whisper* Lazy girl).

So, if months go by and I produce nothing, there is no one to blame but me. Shoot.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I think the same is true for comments, which is often why some posts don't getting their due. People will think they have nothing useful to add to the thought or conversation so, although they enjoyed reading it, they will move on.
    Maybe the addition of Google's +1 will help with some of that since it is a simple way to convey "I have read this...and I liked it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google "Acres of Diamonds" and read several versions. He adds little different points in each version. Any way, when you realize that you have a gift for the world and that it is your RESPONSIBILITY to give it no roadblock, no weakness, no shortcoming will be able to stop you. Write, floundering around till you find that gift, experiment till you get it, never give up.
    Love, Lyn

    ReplyDelete